Dimes to Dollars- a military wife's guide to personal finance: How often do you replace pillows?

Monday, January 14, 2008

 

How often do you replace pillows?

Our bedpillows hadn't been washed in some time, so I cleaned them on Friday. After taking them out of the dryer, I was amazed to see what awful shape they were in. The shells were clean and pretty, but the filling was all wadded up and sideways (and I'd even dried them with tennis balls, like everyone recommends). A lot of punching and jumping on them has made them look a lot prettier but they're far from new, and when I fold them in half they don't spring back to their original shape. So should they be tossed or not? I'm sure a pillow salesman would tell me to replace them every two years or something, but what is the lifespan of a pillow?
I'm probably going to replace them in the summer, after they've gotten four years of use. Seems like a reasonable timeframe.

7 Comments:

Blogger yeehaa99 said...

We tend to replace ours about once every two years however we change the pillow cover every month or so

1/14/2008 3:53 AM  
Anonymous Brooke (Dollar Frugal) said...

Wow that's a really good question, since we've never thrown one away. I just use them until the batting is all shredded up into small pieces. Then, I go to the store and buy a zippered pillow case and empty them into that. My husband's favorite pillow is that one and I have no idea how old it is. Of course, we wash them, just like you said.

1/14/2008 6:04 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Accountability said...

LOL, I just washed my son's flat-as-a pancake-pillows this weekend and the same thing happened. It happens every time I wash them and after sleeping on them a couple nights they return to a "pretty" shape. But four years seems like a long enough life for a pillow! Do you sew? Maybe make your own next time and you can replace the filling when it won't seem to poof up right any more? I've been lurking a few months, nice blog! Mrs. Accountability

1/14/2008 8:53 AM  
Anonymous Art Dinkin said...

LOL! I understand your frustrations.

I am a two pillow person. For some reason my head likes to be elevated when I sleep.

For me my pillows seem to last 2 - 4 years. Fortunately they are not expensive. $20 for a couple years sleep seems reasonable to me. :)

1/14/2008 10:45 AM  
Blogger stuffed said...

During my annual Ikea shopping trip.

1/14/2008 4:28 PM  
OpenID centsandsensibility said...

I guess it depends on the pillows. I washed my Laura Ashely home pillows and they were better than when I first bought them. Hmmm, not sure how that could be....

1/17/2008 10:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oprah had a show on, and te guest (sorry I can't recall his name) said to buy new pillows every 2 years. After 2 years, there are so many dust mites in them (even if you wash them) that they are not good for your health. You can start having respitory problems,etc... I almost threw up when they showed the bugs on tv. Millions of them. I pitched all of our pillows and went and bought some new ones at Target for $2 each. First I bought $20 from JC Penny's but the family hated them. They love the cheaper ones from Target. Now, every two years I replace all of our pillows.

2/09/2008 6:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home